Saturday, 6 March 2010

Carbon Vs Alloy bikes

I was just about to take over Steve's comment box with the story of how I compared and chose carbon, when I thought, why not start another blog? After all, that's just what I'm short of now. Don't expect regular updates, just occasional ones. But I often want to say things, frequently that' about bikes, and so....

Anyway, Steve is doing a fascinating series of articles about carbon composite structures, ultimately leaving aside the hype there is still an easy way to understand the difference.


It was just over a year ago, I wanted to replace my Bianchi Reparto Corse. That was an interesting bike, with a 124" top gear (!) it was fast, and liked to go fast like an Italian sportscar. But, it was a little too small for me (I'll explain why another time) and after 50 miles or so I would begin to feel it.

In the UK, we have a marvellous scheme that allows you to buy bikes with gross earnings before tax, effectively halving the cost. The year before I had bought my commuting bike, now I thought a road bike upgrade was on the cards.

So, I rode over to Two Wheels Good, an independent bike shop that - apart from being excellent - is also located at the base of a decent hill. We don't have too many of those in London - decent shops or hills. It's about 10 miles away from my home, so I was nicely warmed up. I first tried a top-of-the-range ally Trek, and very nice it was, too. Up and over that hill, great. Then I tried a Madone. Similar geometry, similar componentry. And, it felt like I was turbocharged. All of a sudden, the power at my feet was going straight on the road. That's one way to tell the difference, and I recommend it. However I was sold.

As it happens, and as a matter of some regret I didn't end up buying that bike there. Instead I came across the end of the Trek LeMonde fire sale, and picked up effectively the same bike for half the cost, ending up with the equivalent of the Madone for £600.

5 comments:

  1. This promises to be very interesting. I look forward to seeing the story develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job! Turned out great. Well done.
    Bikes Sale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait! Or maybe definitely not! I simply composed
    to Susan’s e-mail correct from a various place
    which period I did NOT have an mistake sales message. This implies he possibly got the info this individual required coming
    from my family (checking account variety, and many others) and
    from now on hindered the e-mail deal with through an problem meaning which will states that “Eric’s e-mail tackle will
    not be valid anymore”, however it’s almost certainly installed and operating all over again.
    Evidence will be We directed a message to be able to his / her correct coming from a different place (certainly
    one of the other e-mail covers) and i also did not experience an blunder message… darn…tghthgthgg Michelle help me observe
    our comprehensive resume as part of your company. I've got by now sent our resume to the enterprise email, remember to I require ones immediate reaction.
    Visit my web blog - Remedies For Genital Warts

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's no wrong or right method to build a website. We have now web-sites relevant to just one area of interest plus websites for absolutely not related goods. It’s truly up to you which in turn way you need to go. One point though…you advocate Blog writer, why should you spend money on using a .internet.. I’ve constantly asked yourself if it was essential. A remedy can be brilliant!
    Feel free to surf my weblog :: Records Search

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother suggested I will such as this site. He / she appeared to be perfect.
    The following truly produced our day time.
    You should not envision how much time I did expended looking for this.
    Here is my web page - Instant Vehicle Insurance

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome